Monday, February 28, 2011

A Mother's Guilt


Loving the dentist!
If you could have only seen my face when I heard the shocking news.  I really wish I had a picture to share with you from that exact moment, the horror that filled my face and tears that welled in my eyes.  Okay, I think I probably need to back up a little bit and start from the beginning.  

The bad news just about to be delievered.

Judsen my delightful 4 year old, had the privilege of going to the dentist for the second time in his life.  I say privilege because he could hardly sleep he was so excited.  He was counting down the hours and kept asking when it was time to go.  Well when the time came and we got to the dentist he was the perfect patient.  He got up in the chair, answered all the questions, opened his mouth wide.  He had no fear, only smiles.  Next in came the oh so wonderful Dr. Ness.  He took a look at the x-rays, he looked in Jud's mouth and then he delivered the news....6 cavities.  My mouth fell open and I instantly felt myself getting blotchy (that's what happens when I get nervous).  I didn't even know what to say or do, in my wildest dreams I couldn't imagine hearing the news.  I wasn't expecting to hear news of 1 cavity let alone 6.  Jud of course was oblivious to the severity of the news that was being delivered.  I on the other hand couldn't get over the guilt of this is all my fault (of better yet Matt's)!  
  
Jud getting digital x-rays...much safer!

Here is where the guilt comes into play.  Let's be honest, at hardly 4 years old these cavities are not Jud's fault, the blame--if their is blame--falls on Matt or myself.  We do brush his teeth every night, but that is about the extent of it.  Floss, well I'm not great at flossing my own teeth so we can pretty much guess that I'm not doing his.  So... is their room for improvement...you betcha!   I left the dentist that day armed with an assault full of tools to fight these little --sugar bugs--as they were explained to Jud.  We had the new tooth brush, the floss, the floss picks--dinosaur shape, the kit to get our water tested for fluoride, and a new spin brush.  I wasn't about to let this happen to our family again. I kept reminding and reassuring myself that these are baby teeth, we can learn and do better.  The staff at Ness Dentistry was amazing!  We love Dana, the dental assistant that Jud had that day!  She is so sweet, gentle, and for this mom reassuring and non judgmental.  Ness Dentistry is great with kids and also on the cutting edge of dentistry with their digital x-rays, cancer check, and well much more.  They are also amazing with adults...even those who, to say the least, aren't religious flossers.  If you want to check them out here is their website: http://www.dasseldentist.com/  If you mention somethingtochuckleabout or Sonia Whittaker you will receive $50 off of your first visit.  I'm not plugging them because of some great kickback for me, but because we truly love going there and I believe you would too! 

Dana cleaning Jud's teeth
Stay tuned, Jud gets his first two cavities filled March 8th.  I will let you know how that goes.  No worries he gets gas, can't wait to see that!


P.S. They also sent us home with a toothbrush for my 8 month old.  Okay I get the hint...this will not happen again. 


5 comments:

  1. I love this! Way to be a trooper, Jud! Go Ness Dentistry...we are slight fans at this household, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, too funny! My favorite part is that you took the camera to the dentist, good job mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jud was definately the perfect little patient:)...Thank you so much for posting this....it was a great teachable moment for me to show my 3 1/2 yr old that little boys CAN sit still in a dental chair! Can't wait to see you guys soon!!-dana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha... this is hillarious. Honestly, I hope the guilt has wore off. I always forget to brush Noah's teeth and I've never even flossed them and I'm the dentist's daughter! :) Dana... no telling! :) I guess the x-rays will...

    ReplyDelete